89% of Florida parents support public funding of afterschool programs.
FAN's Latest News
- The Florida Department of Education released the 2016-17 Request for Proposals (RFP): Department of Education released their request for proposal application for competitive projects for the 21st Century Community Learning Centers program (21st CCLC), authorized under the Title IV, Part B, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended (TAPS [Tracking Applications] Number 17B030- Statewide). Interested parties should submit Notice of Intent to Apply no later than March 4th, 2016. Final proposals due March 23rd, 2016. For more information, please review the full press release here: http://info.fldoe.org/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-7553/dps-2016-07.pdf
- Mayoral Summit on Afterschool and Expanded Learning Opportunities: Being held on Friday, September 9th, 2016. This event will serve as an avenue to bring mayors of Florida together in efforts to cultivate a constructive environment for children’s after school and out-of-school time programs. To register please email Jenny Anderson at email@example.com by Friday, August 12, 2016.
- Bright Ideas STEM from today’s youth: Congratulations to Verma Hygiene Mister for being selected as the winner of the 2016 Bright Ideas STEM from Today’s Youth. She will work with the product and technology innovation firm, Astralis Group to potentially make her Bright Idea a reality! Learn more about the program at http://brightideas.brighthouse.com/.
- Save the Date: The 2016 Planetary Lander Egg-Drop Competition at the Kennedy Space Center is April 30th. for more information, please visit the planetary blog here: http://planetarylander.blogspot.com/
- Florida Parents Value Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Learning Opportunities Provided by Afterschool Programs: A special report released today (September 29, 2015), Full STEM Ahead: Afterschool Programs Step Up as Key Partners in STEM Education, finds broad support among Florida parents for providing STEM learning in afterschool, and high satisfaction with afterschool STEM offerings among parents of children in afterschool programs. Read full press release here.
- What It Takes to Put Children on the Road to Success: The Wallace Foundation and the University of Chicago have released a paper exploring the necessary building blocks to build a foundation for children to be successful. Explore the brief here.
- Update! December 10th, 2015 President Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act into law ensuring success for students and schools. The ESSA will continue 21st Century Community Learnings Centers funding.
- Improving STEM activities in Afterschool: Florida has a network of afterschool STEM Hubs whose mission is to increase quality of programming. For more information on FAN's STEM professional development resources and opportunities to learn more about infusing STEM into your afterschool program, visit our website at www.stem-fan.org/stem-hubs.html.
- Afterschool on Capital Dateline Online: FAN’s Michael Lannon and Joe Davis were featured on Inside Florida Politics and the Florida Newsmakers sections of this informative program from the Florida Cable Telecommunications Association. Capital Dateline airs on your local Florida Sun Sports/Fox Sports channel and on the web at www.capitaldatelineonline.com.
- Florida's Afterschool programs are working! Florida has been recognized as a Top Ten State for its high quality programming, for targeting student populations with the greatest needs, and for parental satisfaction. However, the demand for more opportunities for students to participate continues to be strong. For more information on data associated with Florida's afterschool programs, click here.
- Florida Afterschool by the Numbers Fact Sheet: More than a decade of 21st CCLC data shows that afterschool programs are making a difference in the lives of children, but a significant state investment (both public and private) is needed in order for all students to have an opportunity to participate in afterschool. Check out the Florida Afterschool Fact Sheet for more information.
- The American Youth Policy Forum, based in Washington, D.C.,hosted a discussion group with state afterschool networks on the topic of Coordinated Financing for Afterschool and Summer Learning. The Florida Afterschool Network participated in this event and a summary of the discussion and materials presented can be found on the AYPF website.